If a natural gas smell is noticed in a building, immediately evacuate the building and call Campus Safety at x 333 and provide as much information as you can, such as:
- Your name, location, and contact information
- Location (s) of odors in the building
- A description of the nature of the odor (i.e., light/moderate/strong; static/increasing/dissipating, etc.)
- Symptoms, if any, that may be associated with the gas, such as light-headedness, nausea, etc.
- Known or suspected sources of the odor (i.e., laboratory valves, hot-water heaters, etc.)
Based on the information provided, Campus Safety will dispatch the appropriate personnel.
- Once outside, move away from any apparent source or at right angles to the prevailing wind. If wind direction is variable, try to move away from the source of the leak if known.
- Gather a safe distance from the building, preferably at your appropriate designated evacuation location.
- If you have knowledge that may assist in evaluating the source of the leak, give the information to emergency responders as they arrive on-site.
- Do not return to the building until instructed by emergency personnel.