Applying for Aid

How do I receive financial aid at SCU?

1. Create an FSA ID and Password Create an account via if you haven’t done so already. Your FSA ID and password will serve as your log in credentials to all federal student aid systems.  

2. Complete the FAFSA via - Complete the FAFSA every year with our school code is 001229.  

3. For federal student loan borrowers, complete Entrance Counseling and MPN – To be eligible to borrow student loans, you will need to complete both requirements via  

What is a FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the form you need to fill out to get any financial aid from the federal government to help pay for college. 

How long does it take for my FAFSA to be sent to SCU?

Upon submission, it can take 5-7 business days for SCU to receive your FAFSA application.

When will I know how much financial aid I'll be eligible for?

Once the Office of Financial Aid receives your FAFSA and all required documents, your FA counselor will email your award offer to you SCU email. You will be directed to review and accept/decline/amend your aid offer on the student financial aid portal.

My aid is not enough to cover my tuition and fees, can I apply for more loans?

Yes. Graduate students can apply for the Direct PLUS loan via Note that the approval for the Graduate PLUS loan is based on credit. Students can apply for up to the Cost of Attendance, but we recommend that you borrow only what you need.

Types of Aid

What type of aid can I receive as an undergraduate student?

Undergraduate students are eligible for the following fund sources:

  • Federal Pell grant
  • Federal SEOG grant
  • Federal Work-Study
  • Direct Subsidized loans
  • Direct Unsubsidized loans
  • Direct Parent PLUS loans for dependent students
  • Scholarships
  • VA Education benefits for qualified veterans
  • Private loans

What type of aid can I receive as an graduate student?

  • Federal Work-Study
  • Direct Unsubsidized loans
  • Healthcare Unsubsidized loans for Chiropractic students only
  • Direct Graduate PLUS loans
  • Scholarships
  • VA Education benefits for qualified veterans
  • Private loans

Can I use financial aid to cover books and living expenses?

Yes. If your financial aid awards exceed your tuition and fees, you may be entitled to a refund/living expense credit that you can use towards books, supplies, and living expenses.

If your financial aid is not enough to cover tuition and fees, you can apply for additional loan sources such as the PLUS loan or private loan. 

When can I expect my refund?

Please check our Important Dates page that lists the refund release dates for every term. 

Graduate PLUS Loan

What is a Graduate PLUS loan and how does it differ from the Direct Unsubsidized loan? 

A Graduate PLUS loan allows graduate students to borrow additional loans that may be used for educational expenses. Unlike the Direct Unsubsidized loan, approval for the PLUS is based on credit. Students can borrow up to their Cost of Attendance (COA). Note that every student's COA of attendance varies based on program and enrollment status. 

For example, if your COA for a single term is $30,351.00, and your initial award offer for the term is is $10,250 in Direct Unsubsidized loans and $6,250 in the Healthcare Unsubsidized Loan, you are eligible to borrow up to $13,851 in the Direct Graduate PLUS loan. 

When applying for PLUS, what dates should I enter for the loan periods?

Enter the month of year of the start and end terms you want the PLUS loan to cover. If you want to borrow the PLUS loan for the entire academic year (Fall, Spring, Summer) and you are enrolled in one of our standard calendar programs, enter September 2023 - August 2023.

How often should I apply for the PLUS?

Students are encouraged to apply for the Graduate PLUS loan each year. The PLUS application for the new academic year usually opens in April. Note that credit approval is only valid for 6 months. You may be asked to reapply again by your FA counselor. 


Federal Work Study

What is Federal Work-Study and how do I qualify for it?

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for expenses related to their education. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.

For a list of available job opportunities, please visit our FWS page

If I’m offered a work-study position, will that affect my aid offer?

Yes. All students are assigned a Cost of Attendance (COA) which is comprised of direct costs (tuition and fees) and estimated indirect costs (books, supplies, living expenses, transportation.) The COA serves as a limit of how much financial aid a student can receive per term. Note that grants, loans, scholarships, FWS, state aid are all considered financial aid.

If you are borrowing the maximum amount of loans, we must reduce one of your awards (usually the PLUS) in order to make room for the FWS award. 

Is FWS automatically renewed each academic year?

No. If you wish to continue to participate in FWS, you must complete a new FAFSA and complete a new set of FWS paperwork by June 1st of every year. 


Are there scholarship opportunities available at SCU?

Yes! All institutional scholarship opportunities are posted on our scholarship page

We also have a number of external scholarships posted here

Award Offer

Do I need to accept the entire loan offered to me?

No. We recommend that you borrow only what you need. Please see our Cost and Aid snapshot tabs (see left paneto assist with your loan borrowing decision. 

My financial aid is not enough, how do I get more?

Your FA counselor awards you the maximum amount of standard aid allowable based on your eligibility. If you are in need of additional aid, you can apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS loan if you are a graduate student or apply for a private loan. 

If you are already borrowing the maximum PLUS allowable but still need additional funds, you may be considered for a Professional Judgment. For additional details, click here

Office of Financial Aid

Who is my Financial Aid counselor?

SCU students are assigned to counselors by way of an alpha split. Student with last names:

A-G - Nida Labao

H-O - Omar Barrera

P-Z - Janeth Chaidez

How can I contact the Office of Financial Aid?

You can email us at or call us at 562-947-8755 Ext. 766.